How to make Cupcakes from Scratch
How to make Cupcakes from Scratch,
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 160°C | Gas Mark 4) and place 12 paper cases into a muffin tin.
- Using an electric whisk, food processor or wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next. Add the vanilla essence if using.
- Carefully fold in the flour (and baking powder if using).
- Alternatively, you can mix the ingredients together using a food processor. Use the pulse button to mix together in between adding the ingredients in the order above.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, then back in the oven for a few minutes more. Don’t overcook the cupcakes otherwise they will dry out. Lift the cupcakes out of the muffin tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For a simple icing topping, add a little water to some icing sugar until you have a smooth paste. When the cakes are cool, drizzle some icing mixture over the top. These cupcakes are best eaten on the day they are made.